Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Brrr....

There were so many wonderful pictures I wanted to take.  But it wouldn't have happened or been right.

But, sitting in my warm car, watching someone stop to help the homeless man in the dark was divine.  I was thankful to be inside.  And thankful someone helped.  And thankful that I am not on the street.

And sitting beside her hospital bed, holding her hand, I was thankful for my health and my parents health and her strength.  And wiping back their tears, I was grateful to be in a place to hold them as they mourned.  And I was saddened that they had to feel this loss--of health, of life, of vitality.  I was grateful that when I left, she was still holding on, and prayerful that God knew what was best.  I would have liked to show you that.

And leaving the hospital, I wanted to show you the sign.  To show you where I was.  So grateful for a staff who cares and a hospital that has free coffee and comfortable chairs and health care that may not be perfect, but is so much better than so many other places.  So grateful that I have the privileged to afford health care.  And saddened that so many others don't.

And pulling up to his house, I was thankful that I could be there for him.  Like he'd been for so many others in the past.  To hold his hand and to make him laugh and to get his mind off things.  I was thankful that this community of pastors to which I belong was strong enough to let me help and be there and hold his hand.  I was thankful for the 65.5 years they spent together and thankful for all the lives they both touched.  But I was saddened that he would fall asleep alone in the world, for the first time in 65.5 years. 

It was a day of grateful sadness.  I am blessed and highly favored, even when I'm stressed and mourning.  Sometimes I have to remember that.  Its the only way my light might shine.

I was however able to take a picture of one thing I was grateful for:

Having enough gas to get me around--even when life throws long car trips your way!



And for warmth and heat--more than this little Candlelight.

 

And for the lives of the ones we mourn.
May we be comforted in God's grace.
And challenged to live each day with
the love and the grace that they've shown us.

Amen.

No comments: